Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Get the cake out of my house!!

Uggh Get the cake out of my house!! My biggest I mean BIGGEST vice is that I am a night or even late night sacker and right now there is left over birthday cake and ice cream just chilling in my fridge. Last night before putting my son to bed I had a small piece of cake at around 7:30 and then after I put him to sleep at 8:30 I got up and had a GIANT piece with a big bowl of pecan ice cream. Uggh what is wrong with me? During the day I don’t crave sweets at all, they can have a big party at work and I never get cake I stick with my fruit snakes but if its late at night my brain doesn’t function correctly and I dive right into my sweets. I asked my wife can you please stop getting any snacks for the kids that are sweet. Her answer was “maybe you shouldn’t be such a late night Pig.  My kids are not typical kids, they like sweets every now and again the mostly eat fruit as a daily snack.

I have been searching the internet to find a solution to my problem. I found one sight that said make it a healthy snack like a tuna sandwich at night. Tuna Sandwich? I am not interested in Tuna in the evening I WANT ICE CREAM!!! Another site said to down a bunch of water. Great! So not only do I want a big bowl of ice cream I am also going to wake up to pee, increasingly my chances that I might sneak into the fridge and eat some more sugary snacks.

I need to make a change that doesn’t consist of a chain and lock or even a late night security system. I found a few tips that I am going to start to use and see if it can help me.

·       Wise snacks: Good choices for late night snacks are something healthy and light enough to be digested before bedtime. Pick a source of complex carbohydrates (whole grains, fruits and vegetables, low-fat milk or yogurt) and protein that is around 100-200 calories. Try to avoid foods with any type of caffeine content, as this can disturb your slumber.

·       AM I Hungry?  Is one question very few overeaters dare ask, most likely because the answer is a booming ‘NO’. The next time you begin that slow voyage to the fridge or cupboard, ask if you’re even hungry. You’ll be surprised how often you’re heading for snack out of habit or boredom. Remember there’s a difference between being hungry and wanting to eat.

·       Hungry or just thirsty? I want to address the fact that sometimes your stomach may be growling in the evening because you are actually thirsty.  Try sipping on a glass of water with lemon or a mug of decaffeinated tea. If the growling goes away, then your body may have just been dehydrated!!

      Run 2 SD

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I am SO with you on the late or late late night snacks…especially with sweets. I just CAN’T buy them. If I know frozen yogurt or anything bad for me is waiting in the kitchen, I’m done for.

    I read somewhere once that when you have a sweet tooth late at night to eat apples. Eat as many apples as you need to in order to quench the sweet tooth. The theory is that you can’t possibly eat enough apples to match the potential number of calories in a gigantic bowl of ice cream. Plus, with the apples you get extra vitamins. Does that make sense? The average person can’t eat more than 3 apples without getting seriously full. If you like apples, you might want to give it a try. It works for me!

    Also consider taking a swig of apple cider vinegar (the all-natural, unpasteurized kind with “the mother”). Try Bragg’s brand. I can’t drink it right now because I’m pregnant and its unpasteurized, but before, it totally helped keep the cravings for sweets at bay. Google it and see it you think it might help you!

    ReplyDelete